The Code of Conduct for registered migration agents (the Code) sets the rules for your conduct as a registered migration agent. You must comply with the Code to remain on our Register.
The current code came into effect on 1 March 2022 and has been prescibed by the
Migration (Migration Agents Code of Conduct) Regulations 2021. Download the Code of Conduct for registered migration agents.
Guidance documents on the operation of a number of sections of the Code has been prepared to assist RMAs:
The key differences between the current Code and the former Code are set out in
Key changes and updated definitions. Download the
former Code of Conduct for registered migration agents.
How the Code works
The Code sets out qualities and abilities registered migration agents (RMAs) must have to be on our Register. It also sets out requirements that you work with clients in a professional and ethical way.
The Code guides how you:
- interact with your clients
- communicate your fees and charges
- keep records and handle client monies
- work with other agents
- work with any employees you may have
- respond if a client complains about you.
If you breach the Code, the OMARA may discipline you. If the OMARA decides disciplinary action is warranted, the OMARA may do one of the following:
- caution you and set conditions to have the caution lifted
- suspend your registration and set conditions to have the suspension lifted
- cancel your registration
- bar you from registering as a migration agent for a period of up to 5 years.