The Code of Conduct for registered migration agents (the Code) sets the rules for your conduct as a registered migration agent. You must comply with the Code to remain on our Register.
How the Code works
The Code of Conduct for registered migration agents (the Code) sets out qualities and abilities registered migration agents must have to be on our Register. It also sets out requirements that you work with clients in a professional and ethical way.
The Code directs how you:
- interact with your clients
- communicate your fees and charges
- keep records and handle clients' money
- work with other agents
- work with any employees you may have
- respond if a client complains about you
If you breach the Code, the OMARA may discipline you. If the OMARA decide disciplinary action is warranted, the OMARA may do one of the following:
- caution you and set conditions to have the caution lifted
- suspend your registration and set conditions to have the suspension lifted
- cancel your registration
- bar you from registering as a migration agent for a period of up to 5 years
Section 314 of the
Migration Act 1958 established the Code.
The Code is set out in Schedule 2, of the
Migration Agents Regulations 1998.
Code of Conduct for registered migration agents.