The Code of Conduct for registered migration agents (the Code) sets the rules for your conduct as a registered migration agent. You must comply with the Code to remain on our Register.
How the Code works
The Code sets out qualities and abilities registered migration agents (RMAs) must have to be on our Register. It also sets out requirements that you work with clients in a professional and ethical way.
The Code directs how you:
- interact with your clients
- communicate your fees and charges
- keep records and handle clients' money
- work with other agents
- work with any employees you may have
- respond if a client complains about you
If you breach the Code, the OMARA may discipline you. If the OMARA decides disciplinary action is warranted, the OMARA may do one of the following:
- caution you and set conditions to have the caution lifted
- suspend your registration and set conditions to have the suspension lifted
- cancel your registration
- bar you from registering as a migration agent for a period of up to 5 years
Section 314 of the
Migration Act 1958 established the Code.
The current Code is set out in Schedule 2, of the Migration Agents Regulations 1998.
Download the current Code of Conduct for registered migration agents.
A new Code of Conduct for registered migration agents (new Code) has been prescribed by the
Migration (Migration Agents Code of Conduct) Regulations 2021. The commencement date for the new Code is
1 March 2022.
In the lead up to commencement, all RMAs are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the provisions of the new Code and review their business practices to determine whether any changes are needed. Further information on the new Code will be provided here shortly.