For identity reasons, all applicants for initial registration must provide a current electronic passport sized photograph as part of their application. Repeat registration applicants need to provide a new photograph every five years.
Please note that when you provide a new photograph, the OMARA must first ensure it meets all requirements before the photograph is placed on the Register. If you are updating your photograph during your current registration period, please only submit one photograph and allow the OMARA up to five business days to assess your new photograph and either place the updated photograph on the Register or contact you for further information.
Photographs should generally comply with the Australian Passport Office photograph requirements. The head (face) and top of shoulders should be shown. However, it is not necessary for the expression to be neutral (you may smile if you wish).
Quality and style
The requirements below ensure that an agent’s image will be clearly seen on the website (for those agents who have indicated they wish to have their photograph published).
The photograph must:
- be in colour
- be taken using high resolution (8 megapixels and above)
- show natural skin tones and have appropriate brightness and contrast, no flash reflections and no red eye
- have a plain, light-coloured background (e.g. white, cream or pale blue)
- show you looking directly at the camera
- show you with no hair across your eyes
- show both edges of your face clearly
- not show you looking over one shoulder (portrait style) or with head tilted
- not be manipulated, for example, by removing spots or softening lines.
Head coverings should be plain coloured and must be worn in such a way as to show the face from the bottom of the chin to the top of the forehead and both edges of your face must be clearly shown.
If you normally wear glasses you can choose whether or not to wear them for the photograph, but if you do they must show your eyes clearly and:
- have no dark tinted lenses which restrict a clear view of your eyes
- have no flash reflection off the lenses
- the frames should not cover any part of your eyes