The Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority cannot register anyone applying to become a migration agent who:
- is not an Australian citizen or
- is not an Australian permanent resident who holds an Australian Permanent visa or
- is not a New Zealand citizen who holds a special category visa (physically in Australia when the OMARA is considering the application).
In addition, applicants cannot:
- be under 18 years of age
- have been refused registration within 12 months of applying
- have had a previous registration cancelled within five years of applying
- have previously been barred from registering unless the barred period has expired
- have had a previous registration suspended unless the suspension has expired.
Furthermore, the OMARA must not register an applicant if the OMARA is satisfied the applicant is:
- not a fit and proper person to give immigration assistance or
- not a person of integrity or
- related by employment to an individual who is not a person of integrity and the applicant should not be registered because of that relationship.